Missionary Life: Year One
One year ago.
One year ago our family officially began our journey as missionaries with our sending organization - the Church of the Nazarene. We spent three months preparing, training, and sharing our story before we moved here to West Africa last December.
But September 1st, 2017, was the day we made our transition into full-time status as missionaries. And much has happened in the last 12 months. Highs and lows. Laughter and tears. God-moments and new friends, but also tragedies and trials in ministry. Transitions, transitions, and more transitions. Through it all, God has taught us so much about ourselves, each other as a family, and most importantly about God Himself. We have been stretched and grown in our walks with Christ in ways we could never have imagined. And we have been able to be a part of the amazing work that God is doing throughout West Africa.
Here are some of our personal highlights from year one:
- Zane turned one year old AND was dedicated in Dakar during the month of April! (And Jeremy got the opportunity to preach on the same day that Zane was dedicated.)
- We (Jeremy and Reetu) celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary this past July.
- Figuring out how to order food in French in Senegal!
- Celebrating Holi (an Indian holiday) at the African Renaissance Monument in Dakar, Senegal.
- Hosting Bailey (a college student) who spent the summer with our family here in Ghana as she served alongside the local leaders of our Girl's Justice Clubs.
- And - of course - the countless friends and church family we have made across West Africa!
And here are a few highlights from our ministry in the last 12 months:
- Hosting mission trips from South Africa, Kansas, and Tennessee!
- Jeremy taught a Biblical Interpretation course in northern Ghana.
- We all (including Zane!) helped coordinate Mission Immersion here in Accra - a 10 day missions' training for young leaders from across West Africa who are interested in being missionaries.
- Helping start a chicken project here in southern Ghana that will help provide financial support to churches in this part of the country.
- Being a part of baptisms in Senegal & Ghana (one in the Atlantic Ocean and one in a church's outdoor baptismal).
- Jeremy was blessed with the opportunity to preach in both Senegal & Ghana.
- While it is not very dramatic work, we also had the opportunity to support local pastors and church leaders across West Africa through serving as Secretary (Jeremy) and Treasurer (Reetu) for the 14 countries we are working in as an organization.
And, because a picture is worth a 1,000 words, here are a few glimpses from our daily lives and our ministry work throughout the last year:
While the past year has been like nothing that we would have ever expected, we would not change it for anything.
We are blessed to be serving here in West Africa and are blessed to be a part of a wonderful international church family.
And we cannot wait to discover what the future holds!
On est ensemble - We are together,
-Jeremy, Reetu, & Zane Veer